sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xen-new spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xen-new spell
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:40:14 -0700

On Monday 17 April 2006 07:09 pm, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> Here's a xen-new spell since people have been asking for it. I can't
> commit it right now but I want to push it out to people and move on to scm
> stuff again.
>
> Caveats:
> - it's WIP
> - you need to edit grub yourself, see the xen docs
> - I know both versions compile but haven't booted anything with them yet
> - if you say you want to configure the kernels it will build the kernels
> twice, this is because I want to use their makefile as much as possible
> to avoid the breakage the existing xen spells encountered
> - no attempt is made to merge in your existing kernel configs or store the
> ones you create (though the full xen build directory is persistent and
> they're in there)
> - see the WIP file for more

I just wanted to mention that Jeremy has also created a Install under Xen
HOWTO [0].

Also, while that HOWTO does give a brief overview of how Xen compares to some
"other virtualization technologies", it would be nice if someone in the know
would create a document that gives a little more information in that area.
Maybe even including a compare and contrast table that lists Xen, VMWare,
Bochs, QEMM and any other relevantly related program, and when and why (or
why not) you might use each one, etc.

[0] http://wiki.sourcemage.org/Install_under_Xen

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.