sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] more nvidia_driver trouble

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] more nvidia_driver trouble
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 02:04:41 +0300

On Thursday 13 April 2006 00:10, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> > Still, there's no business casting nvidia_driver in X. I tried to go
> > around it, but even with --no-kernel-module it still won't let you
> > install in X.
>
> On 2004-07-25 I added a fix from Eric Laberge that allowed
> nvidia_driver to be dispelled and installed while X was running. This
> has been working ever since (I use nvidia_driver). What does the new
> version do that makes this not work (or another fix to be found)?
>
> -sandalle

That fix still works, the problem is that the whole spell around it has
changed. (Well, actually it hasn't yet really, I'm still going to hold back
submission until the sharpest edges are rounded.)

The sedit edits a makefile (or something used by one), but nvidia-installer
does its check before anything else. And since it's a binary executable,
hackery is somewhat more difficult.

As I said before, otherwise the installer is a dream. Replicating its
functionality would be a pain, not to mention having to manually check for
changes and new features on every version update.

So I think the best we can do at the moment is to put in a check to see if X
is on and using nvidia driver. I'll have to figure out how.

Juuso

PS: What do you think of asking the user if he's read and accepted the
license
agreement, and then telling nvidia-installer to show it if he answers no?