sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 03:34:00 -0500

On Apr 08, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> On Apr 08, Pieter Lenaerts [e-type AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > * scalibility: it is madness to let all our devs have the full history
> > of the grimoire on their hd's
>
> FWIW, Tony reports the entire P4 repository and its history currently
> consumes ~3.5G of disk.

I should elaborate on that a bit: he also tells me the monthly bandwidth
utilization is between 15 and 30GB. Our server has 160GB of storage and is
allowed 100GB of transfer a month, which is pretty typical. This means
that by current cost models, for perforce at least the disk storage is very
cheap, and the network overhead is more costly. So a system where most of
our developers could have local copies and only hit the network to the
central server when they needed to would be significantly more scalable (in
terms of actual monetary cost) than a purely central server that is being
hit for every commit. I think our normal operation initially would still
mean pushing to the server a lot, but that would likely change over time as
people got more familiar with the branching concepts and took advantage of
them.