sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 09:40:57 +0200

Op vr, 07-04-2006 te 11:42 -0700, schreef David Brown:

> ==== Pros of Using git ====
> 1) No internet access needed until you want your changes pulled to the
> public grimoire :DDD
> 2) decentralized repos, since everyone (including users if they use
> git to pull their grimories to use on their system) would have a copy
> of the repository and all it's history, so changing the DNS to point
> to someone else temporarily would be easy and many people could do it.
> 3) making small diffs for general updates of spells would be quicker (I
> think).
> 4) git-diff is and has always been relative to the root of the
> grimoire no fscking with the -p value on patches using git, it's all
> standardized.
>
> ==== Cons of Using git ====
> 1) Depending on how permissions for the publicly accessed grimoires
> are handled our TL's could have more work to do. Either Arwed would
> have to do this solo or he would have to choose people for a 'super
> guru' set that would have permission to pull from other guru's
> grimoires.
> I would advise not giving everyone permissions to the public grimoire
> because I'm not sure if a git pull can manage blowing over several
> files at once... haven't tried it.

I'm sorry but this is all very trivial stuff iyam.
Even mercurial could do this, so I'm sure there's other stuff that makes
git a lot better ;)

please report on the issues below, from the p4_replacement wiki page.

afaik git was specifically designed for the cherrypicking stuff, I don't
know about any repeated merges back and forth between branches but I
suspect it will do great (haven't tried, don't really know)

problems seem to be, and please correct me:
* directory based access control
* scalibility: it is madness to let all our devs have the full history
of the grimoire on their hd's

could you elaborate on the server options? how do they fix their pushes
and pulls to a central repository? we need this done well for the
grimoire.

<from the wiki>
2. Featurelist
These are the features we want in our new SCM:

repeated merges between branches (devel->test, ...)

cherrypicking changes on merge, this includes in-file cherry picking
(for e.g. ChangeLog) and in-tree cherry picking (integrating one spell
from test to stable-rc)

partial submits (not submitting all changes one has in the local
workspace)

file and directory renames

directory based access control

for distributed systems: support for push-based central repository, i.e.
devs push their changes from their local repos to the central one

scalability: our repository isn't exactly small, especially when it
comes to directories; we have >76000 changes now, roughly 40 active user
accounts accessing it

stability: we don't want major outages in the server, and the clients
shouldn't crash too often either

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"