sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] using git for grimoires
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 03:20:00 -0500

On Apr 08, Pieter Lenaerts [e-type AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> please report on the issues below, from the p4_replacement wiki page.
>
> afaik git was specifically designed for the cherrypicking stuff, I don't
> know about any repeated merges back and forth between branches but I
> suspect it will do great (haven't tried, don't really know)
>
> problems seem to be, and please correct me:
> * directory based access control

What do you mean? That it does have this and it's a problem, or it doesn't
have this and that's a problem? "Directory based access control" is listed
on the p4_replacement wiki page as a desired feature, and git has it. I
for one prefer it because it simplifies administration.

Regardless, git can do permissioning at the branch, directory, and file
level at a minimum, and there's some discussion in the general docs about
doing it with server-side hook configuration as well. So it has several
options to mix and match.

> * scalibility: it is madness to let all our devs have the full history
> of the grimoire on their hd's

FWIW, Tony reports the entire P4 repository and its history currently
consumes ~3.5G of disk.

> could you elaborate on the server options? how do they fix their pushes
> and pulls to a central repository? we need this done well for the
> grimoire.

There is a daemon to handle pushes if you run it centralized.

Probably best for some people to just install it and try it out and see
what happens for real.