sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:46:21 -0600

Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 06:53:51PM +0100, Mathieu L. wrote:
>> I agree with e-type and ruskie, imho we have more important problems to
>> solve than to rework the grimoire architecture right now.
>>

> Im not talking about reworking the grimoire architecture.
>
> Im trying to keep us from meandering into the wrong architecture or
> assuming the grimoire architecture is one way when its really something
> else.

The grimoire architecture will remain the same, very flexible. The
ability to generate views based on keyword simply adds more flexibility.
For Example:

I'll maintain the MailServer keyword spells.

That limits me within the mail section and then I don't have to maintain
client spells. Just as an example.

A better example would be this SCM stuff.

gaze maintainer scm
David Kowis maintains Keyword SCM.

And then the user can gaze keyword scm. Makes it quite simple. Then it
doesn't really matter which section those spells are in, and it can be
easily known who maintains what.

Hell, if it's down to a guru wanting to maintain only the spells he
uses, he could add his name to the keyword list.

gaze keyword dkowis

and the list of my spells follows. Adding keywords makes the grimoire
significantly more flexible than it is now. Spells can be placed where
it makes sense to whomever is placing them, and if it doesn't makes
sense to you add the correct keyword.

However, this does bring up that we should probably limit the number of
keywords. Although maybe we don't need to do that either.

Just some thoughts.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
SourceMage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke