sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:23:39 -0800

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:13:47AM +0100, Andrew ruskie Levstik wrote:
> Well since I started this one I'll comment no this ideas...
>
> Per maintainer would be nice if we had enough maintainers to
> do it...
>
> Per code reuse+keywords is a nice idea for us developers but it makes it
> harder to track end-user <-> code reuse section for bugs. There's also
> always that hmm this spell doesn't werk but it works if used here not
> there problem that might popup. Which would in turn give us more bugs
> to resolve...

We already do code-reuse though, you do it in the games grimoire a whole
bunch actually. Im not sure how this myth got started that im suggesting
doing something completely new, Im not.

> The current imho is quite well... reuse code where possible but make
> the basic organization end-user friendly...

Right, thats what im trying to point out, but it seems as if code-reuse
isn't really thought about when coming up with sections, and it should be.

> Also on a side note KEYWORDS[X] should be implemented in any case. They
> could make searching for things easier for people starting with source mage
> and gaze should default to it.
>
> IF the keyword idea is utilized in a proper way and if our users find it
> better than what we have currently then we could start debating on using
> code-reusable grimoires and views of them.

We already have a code-reusable grimoire. What made me even bother
talking about this is that the suggestion for an scm section appears to
take away some code-reuse, or not consider it as a reason why certain
spells are where they are.

I just think making an scm section that contains most of the scm stuff,
but not all of it (due to code-reuse elsewhere) kind of unfriendly.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |