sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM tools...
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:38:50 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Andrew "ruskie" Levstik wrote:
No this is not we should use a particular tool as our SCM...
This is a proposal for a new grimoire section.

As someone on the formu pointed out they like our logical organisation
of spells into section...

However I belive not all spells are where they should be so I'm trying
to solve that where I can...

I've been looking in the devel section and noticed the following spells
there:
arx
bazaar
cogito
cssc
cvs
cvs2cl
cvsgraph
cvsps
darcs
esvn
gcvs
git
gitk
mcvs
monotone
rcs
tla
tkcvs
qgit
syncmail
revc

Notice any SCM missing??? ;)
I'll get to that part :)

I also found the following in the devel section...

vnc2swf:
A tool that records a VNC session as an SWF Flash file
epoz:
Cross-browser WYSIWYG editor for Zope
mysqlnavigator:
MySQL GUI interface
motor:
A text mode programming environment
monodevelop:
IDE written in C#
mod_mono:
allows Apache to serve ASP.NET pages
scsh:
Unix shell embedded in Scheme
graphviz:
Graphviz - open source graph drawing software
recode:
recode can convert almost any character set to almost any other.
geany:
a fast and lightweight GTK+2 IDE
phpman:
Unix Man page / Perldoc / Info page web interface
phpmyadmin:
PHP/Web-based MySQL server/database management tool
phppgadmin:
PHP/Web-based PostgreSQL server/database management tool
anjuta:
C/C++ IDE for gnome

PHP tools to me don't fit here... and I consider an IDE a special
instance of an editor with some cruft added and then there are the obvius
WTH is that doing in there like vnc2swf....

OK figured out what popular SCM was missing up there yet...

Yup that's right subversion...
so a gaze where revealed it was in collab...

And I found the following in collab...
aegis:
Transaction-based software configuration management system
rapidsvn:
RapidSVN is wxWindows-based Subversion client
subversion:
Compelling replacement for CVS
gsvn:
PyGTK GUI Client for the Subversion version control system

Hmm ok collab makes a bit more sense that devel imho but still...

I would propose either devel-collab or devel-scm section into which all
the scm related tools&utils can be put...

And also put the IDE's into editors and so on....

OK if you've followed me thus far I'm proposing a general cleanup of such
things...

This isn't only limited to SCM's

But the idea is you've gotta start someplace...

Comments, suggestions, support, flames...

I see no problem with the above (I prefer devel-scm or collab-scm (in
order)), but be sure to talk to the maintainers of sections you're
thinking of moving around. ;)

Also be aware that the python-* sections have section-wide scripts
that are used in the spells.

- -sandalle

- --