sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc parallel vs. /opt install

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Brown" <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sqweek <sqweek AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc parallel vs. /opt install
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:36:06 -0800

> I've had a bit of experience in this area at work, where I've had to
> deal with... "difficult" build systems, while cross-compiling (my
> machine is 64-bit but the stuff needs to run on the 32-bit laptops we
> have around).
> Anyway, I think I worked out a pretty reliable way to give any build
> system the finger and compile using the flags *I* want, which is to
> have gcc as a wrapper script. I have it in ~/bin/gcc, but to work with
> autotools the script probably has to be the main /usr/bin/gcc.

iirc, I eventually did something similar and used (in sorcery)
$TMP_DIR/bin/gcc for the compiler and linked that to the correct
/usr/bin/gcc-${VERSION} the spell required then put $TMP_DIR/bin in
front of the path. Since $TMP_DIR is a process specific temporary
directory under /tmp then sys admins wouldn't see it.

- David Brown