sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning for API_VERSION

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning for API_VERSION
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:46:17 +0100

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:46:35AM -0600, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Mar 06, Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru) [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > A small warning for people who may perform changes in graphics and
> > graphics-libs sections. I finalized the conversion to BUILD_API 2 in the
> > two whole sections. So as usual, I removed all BUILD_API=2 fields in the
> > DETAILS files and put that in the API_VERSION file of the sections. So
> > please import these two files in your p4 view if you use individual
> > spells from these sections (if you use the whole section, a p4 sync is
> > sufficient of course).
> > Someone already made the error to add a BUILD_API field in a DETAILS
> > file because of this, so I want to be sure that it would not happen once
> > more. ;-)
>
> A thought, should we at some point switch the default in sorcery to be
> version 2 and just add API_VERSION files to set it back to 1 for those
> sections that still have version 1 spells? Are we far enough along to do
> that now?

We should eventually switch the default. We probably are far enough
along, but it'll need some scripting to make all the spells that
currently use api1 to do so explicitly (253 in devel grimoire, 407 in
stable). I would prefer to do that incrementally though, not directly in
sorcery. We have the grimoire API_VERSION file, we can add that to devel
with a BUILD_API=2 default and script the api1 stuff to work, then have
it trickle down into the other grimoires. Once stable grimoire gets the
global API_VERSION file we can switch in sorcery and remove the files
from the grimoires.