sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning for API_VERSION

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andrew \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Warning for API_VERSION
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:29:31 +0100

Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote :

> gpg: Signature made tor 07 mar 2006 16:46:35 CET using DSA key ID F009764F
> gpg: Good signature from "Jeremy Blosser <jblosser AT firinn.org>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: 867D C269 21C2 7643 E9E3 6478 285D BEC5 F009 764F
>

> On Mar 06, Flavien Bridault (Disk Guru) [f.bridault AT fra.net] wrote:
> > Hello people,
> >
> > A small warning for people who may perform changes in graphics and
> > graphics-libs sections. I finalized the conversion to BUILD_API 2 in the
> > two whole sections. So as usual, I removed all BUILD_API=2 fields in the
> > DETAILS files and put that in the API_VERSION file of the sections. So
> > please import these two files in your p4 view if you use individual
> > spells from these sections (if you use the whole section, a p4 sync is
> > sufficient of course).
> > Someone already made the error to add a BUILD_API field in a DETAILS
> > file because of this, so I want to be sure that it would not happen once
> > more. ;-)
>
> A thought, should we at some point switch the default in sorcery to be
> version 2 and just add API_VERSION files to set it back to 1 for those
> sections that still have version 1 spells? Are we far enough along to do
> that now?
>
> Another option would be to forgo the API_VERSION 1 files and script adding
> BUILD_API=1 to every spell that isn't currently set to version 2 at the
> spell or section level. This would mean no one would have to worry about
> setting version 2 for a spell at all when copying it around, and people who
> edit version 1 spells are already supposed to convert them to version 2
> along the way...

I acctually dislike a global API_VERSION since this can break spells being
moved around... I much more prefer thu BUILD_API=X aproach...

That said hmm might be a good idea yeah...

--
Andrew "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461