sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Users] [Cauldron] - 0.9.6 x86 ISO in rc1 - PPC coming soon

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Users] [Cauldron] - 0.9.6 x86 ISO in rc1 - PPC coming soon
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:56:06 +0100

> > http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/sourcemage/iso/x86/0.9.6/smgl-0.9.6-i486-rc1.iso.bz2
> >
> > This needs to be tested.

> Just installed it and tested (only lightly, just "cast mc" after
> reboot). Seems it works like a charm.
> Good work.
Thanks!

> Some comments:
> 1)
> I like mount points you added. Is possible to add "/var/spool/sorcery"
> (sources; the only one I really use)?
Could you file a bug for this please? I don't think this disabling enough
to stop the 0.9.6 release (or to introduce any unneccessary code change so
near a release) but would be happy to add it for 0.9.7.

> 2)
> The possibility to add new user is great. :-)
> IMHO, the default group should be named identically to login
> (lace:lace). Now it uses "users" by default.
Hmm... I'm not quite sure I'd personally agree with that. Wasn't the
purpose of group permissions to be a bit more granular that per-user?
It would make sense to give or take permissions to/from "all other human
users" or something, but why would you want group permissions for a group
that only you are in? Sure, there is root:root for normal files, but except
for that one I kindof don't see the purpose in one-user groups...
Feel free to disagree with me.

> 3)
> The time in /etc/sourcemage-release is shifted one hour ahead (problem
> local time versus GMT/UTC time).
> This box uses local time (Linux together with Windows).
> After reboot "date" prints 18:00 (my local time, CET) and there is 19:00
> in /etc/sourcemage-release.
Hmm, that is indeed a bug, but it might require some amount of code to fix
properly. Again, an ideal 0.9.7 bug, could you please open one (a different
one than for 1) ) for this issue?

So Far,
Karsten Behrmann

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org