sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Brown <dmlb2000 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:18:48 -0800

> I got a very strange issue that started with my update to 2.6.15
>
> my wireless interface doesn't come up from the first attempt.
>
> it's mostly there at the third try.
>
> there's nothing exceptional in the output of udevmonitor, except that at
> success there is a line about the interface coming up.
>
> I solved this in the most ugly way with a loop until eth1 shows up in
> `iwconfig`
>
> I thought the removal of hotplug may have to do with it... not sure
> though
>
> any clues anyone?

Check the udev rules file in the test udev spell there's a line I
added to load firmware.

I don't have the hotplug scripts installed at all,
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is set to "", I run both the updated udev
rules file and the 2.6.15 kernel, I run the ipw2200 (which has
firmware with it) but compile it as a module.

After I made those changes the kernel loaded the firmware just fine,
if you have a different driver and this setup doesn't seem to work we
may have to do more digging... :\

- David Brown