sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:44:52 +0100

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 08:37:05PM +0100, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> On Thursday 12 January 2006 18:43, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> > > hi all,
> > >
> > > I got a very strange issue that started with my update to 2.6.15
> > >
> > > my wireless interface doesn't come up from the first attempt.
> > >
> > > it's mostly there at the third try.
> > >
> > > there's nothing exceptional in the output of udevmonitor, except that at
> > > success there is a line about the interface coming up.
> > >
> > > I solved this in the most ugly way with a loop until eth1 shows up in
> > > `iwconfig`
> > >
> > > I thought the removal of hotplug may have to do with it... not sure
> > > though
> > >
> > > any clues anyone?
> > >
> > > pieter
> >
> > I've noticed that my USB devices are not automatically loaded with
> > 2.6.15 as well, perhaps it's a similar issue?
> >
> > -sandalle
>

> there seems to be a general problem whereby modules are not loaded for
> hardware which is present at start-up (usb, i1394, pcmcia, sound,... ).
> Once
> the system is up, plugging in a new device creates the device nodes and the
> udev rules load the modules as expected.
>
> I have checked various kernel options and played with the init scripts, but
> so
> far I can't get things to happen automatically. I have some entries
> in /etc/modules at present.
>
> I think that there may be a missing environment variable when udevd starts

It's not that. That's the coldplug case, that used to be handled by
udevstart. The way to do this with a current kernel is walk through
sysfs and look for 'uevent' files. Those files can be used to re-trigger
the device add event after udevd is running. I'm not sure how exactly
you do this (echo something to the device or just touch it), but that
should be somewhere in the kernel docs.
This should be added to the devices init script once it works.
(Can't test this myself as I'm currently stuck with 2.6.11 due to driver
problems in >= 2.6.14.)

http://www.sourcemage.org