sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev kernel 2.6.15 and hotplug problem
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:37:05 +0100

On Thursday 12 January 2006 18:43, Eric Sandall wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > I got a very strange issue that started with my update to 2.6.15
> >
> > my wireless interface doesn't come up from the first attempt.
> >
> > it's mostly there at the third try.
> >
> > there's nothing exceptional in the output of udevmonitor, except that at
> > success there is a line about the interface coming up.
> >
> > I solved this in the most ugly way with a loop until eth1 shows up in
> > `iwconfig`
> >
> > I thought the removal of hotplug may have to do with it... not sure
> > though
> >
> > any clues anyone?
> >
> > pieter
>
> I've noticed that my USB devices are not automatically loaded with
> 2.6.15 as well, perhaps it's a similar issue?
>
> -sandalle

there seems to be a general problem whereby modules are not loaded for
hardware which is present at start-up (usb, i1394, pcmcia, sound,... ). Once
the system is up, plugging in a new device creates the device nodes and the
udev rules load the modules as expected.

I have checked various kernel options and played with the init scripts, but
so
far I can't get things to happen automatically. I have some entries
in /etc/modules at present.

I think that there may be a missing environment variable when udevd starts

--
Regards, Treeve