sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] spell DETAILS format

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] spell DETAILS format
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 12:32:21 -0500

I really like this "minimal" convention.

I have a few more to add. I'm trying to use single quotes for strings that don't have variables inside. I think it saves a few CPU cycles, although I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't. I prefer to quote hash sum values with single quotes to show that they're literals. Finally, I prefer to use bash magic like "${VAR//search/replace}" instead of starting an additional process (such as sed or cut) and I always double-quote these expressions, just in case. Not a big deal if these don't make it into "convention."

Sergey.

Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
The only real convention is that it has to work. If we really want to
have a standard I'd suggest minimal quotes/braces, i.e. only where
they're really necessary.