sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:44:22 -0600

On Nov 30, Karsten Behrmann [BearPerson AT gmx.net] wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:08:26 -0500, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> > Hi Jaanus,
> >
> > I believe that the brief status is that it mostly Just Works(tm).
> Well, as far as I know, its mostly "'everybody' wants it, nobody tests it,
> nobody writes code for it.", though I've heard of several working boxes
> on x86_64, so it must be reasonably working.

Seth has made pretty strong statements of (non-distribution-official)
support. I know he runs at least one box there and fixes anything he finds
that doesn't work on it. I don't think he's really the only one.

> As the total lack of testing the ppc ISOs are getting shows (The first
> person to run through a total install with them was a new user), making not-
> so-common architectures work is often quite hard simply because "you have no
> clue if the thing actually works".

It seems to me that we have quite a few more people actively asking
about/using/patching x86_64 than ppc, but maybe the ppc people are the
silent majority.