sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] State of x86_64
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:23:51 -0800

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 12:09:23PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> <snip>
> >> As the total lack of testing the ppc ISOs are getting shows (The first
> >> person to run through a total install with them was a new user), making
> >> not-
> >> so-common architectures work is often quite hard simply because "you
> >> have no
> >> clue if the thing actually works".
> >
> > It seems to me that we have quite a few more people actively asking
> > about/using/patching x86_64 than ppc, but maybe the ppc people are the
> > silent majority.
>
> To me, the reason PPC is higher than x86_64 is that we've supported
> PPC for years now and I don't want to 'regress' by dropping support
> for our users on that platform (who may just not be on the lists, IRC,
> or are quiet). Our LUG has two PPC boxes (OldWorld), but David Brown
> and I haven't had much time to play with them.

As I understood it, the new iso scripts were supposedly written so it
would be easy to repeat the process, so in theory, once the scripts
are "ported" to a platform it shouldn't be much overhead to just press
the button and have a new iso.

The problem with ppc seems to be that the isos are not booting well on
all the ppc test machines, and communication appears to be breaking down
between the people making the isos (who cannot test them, they dont have
physical access to any ppc machines), and the people who can test them.

So, in theory, if a ppc iso actually boots and installs ok, it could
get released and making subsequent ppc isos *ought* to be repeatable.

Same thing goes for x86_64, I've heard offers of x86_64 factories from
the owners, im not sure whats been the hold-up getting a factory there.
Assuming the iso generation scripts do what they claim, this shouldn't
be too difficult.

-Andrew