sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] j2sdk Question . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] j2sdk Question . . .
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:31:24 -0700

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 06:22:38PM -0500, David Kowis wrote:

> Jason Flatt wrote:
> > When there is a version bump for the j2sdk-bin spell (and, I'm assuming,
> > though I haven't tested, the j2sdk spell, as well), the PATH gets
> > changed,
> > because the version number is in the directory name. The problem is that
> > the
> > new PATH doesn't take affect until a re-login, and if db (I don't know if
> > anything else has this same behavior) is dependant on j2sdk, it wants to
> > rebuild because of the TRIGGERS file, but can't because "no acceptable
> > Java
> > compiler found in $PATH". Clear as mud? What I'm wondering is if we
> > should
> > add something to the j2sdk-bin spell, like sourcing the profile file in
> > FINAL, or is this just one of those things that we will have to deal with?
> >
> This also happens with things like casting apache and apr0 or apr. A new
> shell has to be created so that apache can find apr. It may not be
> apache that's got the problem, but I've had to do this a few times with
> different spells.
>
> IMO it should be the spell that modifys /etc/profile that does the
> reloading to ensure that any other spells following it have that
> information. Not the other way around.

Unfortunatly shells dont work that way. They cannot pass data back up
to the parent process. The symlink solution is probably the best way to
go about fixing it.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |