sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to handle multi-version spells
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:34:02 -0500

On May 07, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> What I'd like to see:
> - spell asks which version to use, always defaulting to the stable
> version

One point of clarification that came up on IRC today: what is our criteria
for judging something the "stable" version? For example, an app has their
last official release as the 0.99 branch. Then development work on a new
1.0 branch was done. Now 1.0 is in RC mode, and they recommend people do
switch now. Should we consider 1.0RC "stable" at this point and update our
spell to use this as default, or is this still "devel" to us until it's
past RC to 1.0 final? Does the time 1.0RC has been out make a difference?
What about if all upstream support for the app is asking people to upgrade
whenever they report issues?

This may seem like a stupid question but if we're going to "default to
stable" we need to draw a clear line where that is, since each app's
release process is slightly different.