sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New Assistant for the Project Lead

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New Assistant for the Project Lead
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:56:55 -0500

I guess I should make some kind of (belated) speech...

On Sep 16, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> I'm happy to announce that I have received, and accepted, an offer
> for someone to officially do my work for me while I continue to
> receive all of the glory. ;)
>
> The new Assistant Project Lead is none other than Jeremy Blosser
> (a.k.a. emrys on IRC).
>
> He'll be helping out with tasks that I all-to-often seem to neglect
> (such as pushing for more bug-fixes, organization of SMGL and related
> tasks, and otherwise bugging our fine developers ;)).

Muahahaha. Er, sorry, something in my throat there.

Seriously, I do not plan to be too pushy (except to dkowis ;), but I will
be looking to help bring some followthrough to policy decisions and such.
Don't worry, I'm not one who is interested in policy for its own sake, just
interested in helping to smooth rough edges so people can spend their time
getting things done instead of just rehashing the same discussions over all
the time. As afrayedknot has observed in the past, we have a habit of
having long discussions that never turn into any actual decisions or code,
and I will be trying to turn that into something more productive.

Also, in my real life job I am known as someone who is a bit of jack of all
trades and who tries to bring the outside perspective into discussions, and
I will likely do both of those things here as well. I have been
overhearing various comments from people for a while on things they would
like to work a bit differently, and I'll try to become an advocate for
solving problems that may normally get overlooked but could make a
difference to the distribution. Two examples I can give that are near the
top of my list are: 1) Finding a way to let those who don't have time to
sit in IRC be more informed on what things are discussed there, and 2)
helping the transition of the web site into Drupal without losing some of
the things people on different teams liked about the old site.

In general, I'm going to try to help with the boring work of making sure
things don't get forgotten or ignored so that sandalle and the TLs can
focus the on more important tasks of driving the project forward. In
addition I will be glad to be a developer advocate for developers on all
teams... it's very important for our distro for you guys to be happy and
able to get your work done in as satisfying a way as possible, so please
let me know if you have comments or suggestions for improvements. I know
that talk is cheap and like all good projects this is largely a
meritocraty, so feel free to throw your concerns at me and give me a chance
to prove that I mean what I say.

> He knows most of the Words of Power so if I'm inaccessible, feel free
> to bug him. ;)

With my typical schedule I should hopefully be within earshot most of the
time. If I don't respond in IRC and you have something critical feel free
to mail me. I will likely change my published email address soon to just
be jblosser AT sourcemage.org so that it's easier to remember, but either will
always work.