sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved Sorcery Trigger Support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Improved Sorcery Trigger Support
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:51:13 -0700

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:26:03PM +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:
> Andrew Stitt wrote:
>
> >The sorcery team has been working on improving on_cast triggers. The
> >work is mostly complete, and I think its ready for broader testing and
> >feedback from the development/user-base.
> >
> >The main improvement was to integrate (on_cast) triggers with dependency
> >sorting. In the old implementation, an on_cast trigger was effectively a
> >cast -c after the triggering spell completed. This leads to many spells
> >being cast multiple times. For example, if zlib casts, it will trigger
> >a number of casts. During a rebuild, those spells are already going to
> >be cast.
> >

> [snip]
>
> Andrew, just to make sure I understand the above (could be just me), if
> I was to
> do a rebuild with the above sorting on then zlib, and any other
> previously required
> dependancies, will be cast prior to all those triggered by casting zlib?

Effectively yes. Anything that triggers on zlib gets an implicit
depends on zlib, which helps sort them in the right place, in reality most
of those spells already depend on zlib explicitly anyway. In the old
system on a rebuild or big update the spell would get built through the
trigger and again through the depends tree. Now we've effectively merged
the depends tree and trigger tree.

There are some special cases that just turning off triggers wouldn't solve
(multiple triggerers, depends loops, trigger loops) but in the general
case, its pretty straightforward, pretend they're depends.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |