sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] install_root related problem ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] install_root related problem ?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:47:07 +0000

I want to build a stripped down system on a separate partition, for use as a
rescue system.

I changed install_root and state_root and did 'cast basesystem' and 'cast
linux'.
This unpacked a lot of tarballs and seemed ok.

I then did chroot to the new partition and got various errors which i solved
by copying some files in /etc which had not been tracked (passwd, group
shadow, udev.missing, sysconfig/facilities).

The chroot environment seems ok.

I edited lilo.conf and fstab and then tried to boot the new partition but it
always hangs at the point that I have marked in the output from dmesg for a
normal startup. Any ideas what I have overlooked.
I suspect something related to udev.
I t is the same kernel in both cases.

Incidentally, 'cast basesystem' installs a lot of stuff such as bison and
perl that I don't actually need in this situation. Maybe a stripped down
'rescue' spell with optional file systems?
---
lilo.conf:
image=/mnt/spare/boot/vmlinubz
label=emergency
read-only
root=/dev/hda8

dmesg:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 156k freed
alps.c: Enabling hardware tapping
input: PS/2 Mouse on isa0060/serio1
input: AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint on isa0060/serio1

*** hangs here

EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
Adding 1052216k swap on /dev/hda7. Priority:-1 extents:1
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3 FS on hda5, internal journal

Regards, Treeve