sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] install_root related problem ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] install_root related problem ?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:47:44 -0700

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:47:07PM +0000, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> I want to build a stripped down system on a separate partition, for use as
> rescue system.
>
> I changed install_root and state_root and did 'cast basesystem' and 'cast
> linux'.
> This unpacked a lot of tarballs and seemed ok.
>
> I then did chroot to the new partition and got various errors which i
> solved
> by copying some files in /etc which had not been tracked (passwd, group
> shadow, udev.missing, sysconfig/facilities).

I have a script called chrootgen.sh in //sgl/misc/chrootgen that
helps with this. Theres a 'populate' sub-command that will copy in the
bare-minimum of /etc files, and a few other helpful things.
Its main purpose is for keeping track of spell/sorcery query/config
answers, I'll be writing a page on it soon.

> Incidentally, 'cast basesystem' installs a lot of stuff such as bison and
> perl that I don't actually need in this situation. Maybe a stripped down
> 'rescue' spell with optional file systems?

Perl is a dependency of glibc.
Bison is a dependency of binutils.

Both those are compile-time only afaik, so 1) itd be safe to remove them and
2)
the real answer would likely be build_depends feature (bug 7513). Thats
currently scheduled for 1.15, if thats a priority the sorcery team can
re-prioritize it to 1.14.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |