sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Fun with your CPUs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Fun with your CPUs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:25:48 +1200

What about prometheus@home?

Adam Clark wrote:
Or, a complete waste of idle CPU time...

Hey all,

As you are probably aware, there are several projects online that allow your CPUs to participate in a large group project doing something useful, probably the most famous of these is Seti@Home.

Another of these projects is called distributed.net[0], which may have been the first of it's type. It's been around for years, has completed several of the contests that it set out to finish, and is still going fairly strong.

The goals of distributed.net are varied, depending on the contest it's running, but they've basically created one of the world's fastest computers by utilizing people's spare CPU cycles. When one participates in the projects, you usually have a chance to win a little money if one of your CPUs is the one that completes the task at hand, and if nothing else, you get lots of pretty stats to show you how you're doing in the grand scheme of things.

There's also groups that you can belong to, to try and show that your group is the fastest of them all, or, at least, got a fair bit of CPU behind it.

As a side-effect, this is another way that SMGL can get a little exposure, by showing that we can be one of the more powerful groups out there.

So, I recently loaded up a bunch of machines that I have control over with the distributed.net client, and started the SMGL team. My personal crunching stats can be found at [1], and the SMGL team page is at [2].

If you'd like to check it out and/or participate, please visit [0] and consider running the client on your systems. If you do start it up, be sure to join the SMGL Team[2] once the next d.net stats run is done. Unfortunately the client's binary-only, but they provide some information on their site as to why that's always been the case.

Please feel free to reply to the list here if you've got any questions that [0] doesn't answer!

-Adam Clark
-Web Team Lead

[0] - http://distributed.net
[1] - http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?project_id=8&id=451789