sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Help people find a mirror

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Adam Clark <adamsgl AT dhbit.ca>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Help people find a mirror
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:13:13 -0700

Hi all,

As we roll towards 1.0, and as we are now beginning to get a little more
press attention, or web linkage, than we've had in the past, I think
it's important that, when at all possible, we direct people to do their
Source Mage downloading from a mirror.

I've recently gone and updated our downloads and mirror pages on our
website and added an informative file to the root of
download.sourcemage.org to try and encourage people to choose a mirror
rather than download from our main download location.

When people drop in to IRC or ask in the forums or wherever, let's tell
people that the best thing to do is visit http://sourcemage.org/mirrors

I've also been working with mirror operators to try and get the mirrors
to operate properly, so that the mirrors are actually up to date,
purging old stuff when it disappears off of download.sm.org, etc.

While we don't have a ton of traffic currently, it will become more and
more important to direct traffic off-site as the outside interest level
grows.

Thanks!

Oh, and as usual, if you notice any issues on any mirrors or our own
download site, please file them bugs!

-Adam