sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Default groups and users provided on ISO (was: create_account & create_group placement)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Default groups and users provided on ISO (was: create_account & create_group placement)
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:31:53 -0700

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 11:15:11PM +0200, Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> > On Aug 09, Karsten Behrmann [BearPerson AT gmx.net] wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > > Just wanted to use this thread to get a general opinion on what should
> > > be
> > > in the ISO /etc/passwd and /etc/group. We have a minimum at [0], but
> > > static
> > > /dev or udev already wants a few groups not in there. However, I'd
> > > kindof
> > > like to keep the lists minimal. Why would you want to have a MySQL user
> > > if you
> > > never had it installed?
> >
> > Like I mentioned in IRC a bit ago, I think we should add the wheel group
> > this list. Right now we don't define wheel at all and that's kind of odd.
> > Production systems with multiple administrators expect to use that group,
> > for those boxes it's much more important than 'audio'.
>
> no "audio" group will make our /dev system fail though. no wheel doesn't
> kill anyone directly...

Our packages install as root:root, not root:wheel. Perhaps we can have
an option to sorcery to install root:root files as root:wheel?

(idea being, set the option, then rebuild).

Having an easy way to use a wheel-based group admin system gives one
less reason for admins to choose another distro.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733