sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: SM Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] create_account & create_group placement
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:09:19 -0700

> I'm not opposed to the ACCOUNT variable with a sane syntax "user:group"
> perhaps similar to chown's syntax. I await the sorcery team's input on
> whether or not they think this is warranted in their judgement (and the
> ensuing discussion). Ultimately they get yes/no rights on what goes in
> or not.

So the general point of view from spell writers/maintainers is:
We have to do xyz "a lot"
therefore sorcery should do it "automa[tg]ically".

The sorcery team definitly wants to help minimize repitition on the part
of gurus. However, its best in the long run for sorcery to be providing
general and extensible interfaces, as opposed to specific ones.

What people call a "general" interface versus a "specific" one is subject
to debate. Everyone is going to draw the line somewhere different.

By extensible, I mean capable of easily being used in ways not yet
thought of.

---

Generally speaking any extra bell or whistle spells need, such as adding
accounts, init scripts, .desktop files, etc. require some effort on
the part of spell authors/maintainers; again, generally speaking. The
intention/goal is to minimize that extra effort as much as possible.

That minimum usually takes the form of:
a) adding a line of description to DETAILS
b) adding a line of code to a spell file
c) adding a file to the spell (and possibly putting some data in it)

Everyone has their favorite(s), they all require *some* work
*somewhere*. The next thing that should be looked at, before a decision
is made, is how that solution can be implemented, and what the trade-offs,
advantages, and disadvantages are.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |