sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] login.defs problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>
  • Cc: Public SourceMage Discussion List <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] login.defs problem
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:03:32 -0400

Hey Mads,

That would probably be my doing. I have a few questions:
1. Which grimoire?
2. Which spell versions (gaze version shadow linux-pam)?
3. When where both installed (or shadow, if PAM is not used; gaze activity |
egrep '(shadow|linux-pam)')?
4. What do you see in the event log immediately after successful/failed login
attempt? I'm specifically interested in login and PAM events.
5. It looks like you modified login.defs by hand, is this correct? Did you try
renaming login.defs and recasting shadow, so that stock file is used? With a
stock file, you should see no problems.
6. What is in your `login' and `other' files for PAM? Do you use securetty
module for PAM and do you have /etc/securetty file with correct entries?

I'm running shadow 4.0.11.1 with PAM and I can login as root as well as any
other user, so it can be done :-). I'm sorry there's too many questions, your
description of the problem is very broad.

Thanks,

Sergey.

Quoting Mads Laursen <smgl AT dossen.dk>:

Could anyone shed some light on this, possibly point the way to a bug (I
couldn't find one) or something I did wrong? After updating a number of
spells, including shadow, I began getting errors on login, but only as root.
The login program complains about the following options from /etc/login.defs

FAILLOG_ENAB yes
LASTLOG_ENAB yes
MAIL_CHECK_ENAB yes
OBSCURE_CHECKS_ENAB yes
PORTTIME_CHECKS_ENAB yes
QUOTAS_ENAB yes
MOTD_FILE /etc/motd
FTMP_FILE /var/log/btmp
NOLOGINS_FILE /etc/nologin
ENV_HZ HZ=100
ENV_SUPATH PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
ENV_PATH PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
PASS_MIN_LEN 5
SU_WHEEL_ONLY no
CRACKLIB_DICTPATH /var/cache/cracklib/cracklib_dict
PASS_CHANGE_TRIES 5
PASS_ALWAYS_WARN yes
CHFN_AUTH yes
ENVIRON_FILE /etc/environment

Commenting out the options (which were reported as unrecognised) made the
errors go away, but root still cannot log in. Did something happen that
needs changes to the files, or changed the defaults?

Please say, if any of the PAM config files could be useful in figuring out
the problem, or any other files.

/dossen
--
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.
-- Albert Einstein