sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery and the Broken Cache

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery and the Broken Cache
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:45:29 -0700

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 04:03:28PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> On Jul 15, Andrew [afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com] wrote:
> > >
> > > Heh, I was just thinking about proposing this today, while trying to
> > > check
> > > if some changes had made it to the test tarball yet w/the p4 stunnel
> > > issues. Having "{scribe,sorcery} update" check an md5 *before* starting
> > > the full download would save a lot of time/bandwidth.
> >
> > so, why not rsync?
>
> It would be useful for rsync as well. rsync takes a long time to run to
> even decide it has nothing to update. The md5 comparison would happen
> within seconds and eliminate the need for rsync to even get called a lot of
> the time.

scribe with rsync in my project branch doesnt take very long, on the
order of 30 seconds or less to do an empty update...

Consider that with tarballs + manifest, if just one bit changes in
the grimoire, the entire tarball has to be downloaded again.
On the other hand rsync will only download chunks that have changed.

So rsync might lose, barely, if absolutely nothing changed, it might
also lose, barely, if everything has changed. But that isn't all that
common unless you update almost constantly. The common case (a few
changed files) will almost certainly be faster.

Can we try to avoid suggesting unnecessary bloat and complexity to sorcery
just because it feels good? Whatever happened to simple software.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |