sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery and the Broken Cache

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery and the Broken Cache
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:57:10 -0700

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:51:56PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:29:20PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Jul 15, Seth Alan Woolley [seth AT positivism.org] wrote:
> > > If there are too many broken caches for reliability, we could implement
> > > our own caching using a manifest file with a list of md5sums of the big
> > > tarballs. This would allow more frequent checks for tarball changes as
> > > well, as they wouldn't have to download the whole tarball every time to
> > > check for a new update.
> >
> > Heh, I was just thinking about proposing this today, while trying to check
> > if some changes had made it to the test tarball yet w/the p4 stunnel
> > issues. Having "{scribe,sorcery} update" check an md5 *before* starting
> > the full download would save a lot of time/bandwidth.
>
> so, why not rsync?

firewalls, proxies, etc. (that's what we're trying to circumvent in the
first place)

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3