sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New ISO installer request for reviewers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New ISO installer request for reviewers
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:59:28 -0400 (EDT)

>Hi all, especially QA team!
>The good news is that the rewrite of the ISO installer is basically complete.
>All that needs to be done (theoretically) is to integrate it into some
>ISO generation scripts and start cranking out ISOs.
>The bad side is that it is largely untested/unrun, and may contain some
>basic errors / brain bugs / stupid syntax problems
>(such as VARIABLE="VALUE" vs. VARIABLE = "VALUE")
>
>So I'd like to call for volunteers to read through the code and report
>everything they see where
> - Intended behavior does not seem to be achieved by the code
> - Intended behavior is unclear
> - Whatever other suggestions you have

Sweet I'll be glad to look over it.

>We're talking about the proj4 tree of cauldron:
>//sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4/...
>
>I'm sorry that we're a bit scarce on the docs currently.
>What we have (specific to the code) is:
>http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=ISO+installer+design+specs
>(in the p4 tree)
> doc/installer/globals.list (list of global variables used)
> doc/installer/depends.list (list of "depends" employed)
>The code
>(to quote the programmer guide:
>"The source code can at worst be wrong and confusing. The documentation, if
>not written perfectly, can lie, and that is a thousand times worse.")
>I have been a tad pressed for time, so sorry that there is not as much
>documentation yet as there should be.
>
>Basically, the parts I'd like to see reviewed are
> installer/installer.sh
> installer/modules/*
>best to read first:
> installer/modules/common
>and
> installer/modules/spellinstaller
>They're used quite a bit in the other parts of the code.

Is there anything I can run for testing?
Can I make my own iso and try to use this somehow?

already noticed some hard coded dirs... :\
//sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4/installer/data/getFontList.sh
//sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4/installer/data/getLangList.sh

those two files get executed if you do a ./installer.sh

>An example I just found of what I'm looking for for example:
> installer/modules/common :
>- ${DIALOG[*]} $*
>(word splitting makes the two different)

I'll definately look for those things when I go through it.

- David Brown

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com