sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] New ISO installer request for reviewers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] New ISO installer request for reviewers
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:13:11 +0200

Hi all, especially QA team!
The good news is that the rewrite of the ISO installer is basically complete.
All that needs to be done (theoretically) is to integrate it into some
ISO generation scripts and start cranking out ISOs.
The bad side is that it is largely untested/unrun, and may contain some
basic errors / brain bugs / stupid syntax problems
(such as VARIABLE="VALUE" vs. VARIABLE = "VALUE")

So I'd like to call for volunteers to read through the code and report
everything they see where
- Intended behavior does not seem to be achieved by the code
- Intended behavior is unclear
- Whatever other suggestions you have

We're talking about the proj4 tree of cauldron:
//sgl/cauldron/proj/proj4/...

I'm sorry that we're a bit scarce on the docs currently.
What we have (specific to the code) is:
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=ISO+installer+design+specs
(in the p4 tree)
doc/installer/globals.list (list of global variables used)
doc/installer/depends.list (list of "depends" employed)
The code
(to quote the programmer guide:
"The source code can at worst be wrong and confusing. The documentation, if
not written perfectly, can lie, and that is a thousand times worse.")
I have been a tad pressed for time, so sorry that there is not as much
documentation yet as there should be.

Basically, the parts I'd like to see reviewed are
installer/installer.sh
installer/modules/*
best to read first:
installer/modules/common
and
installer/modules/spellinstaller
They're used quite a bit in the other parts of the code.

An example I just found of what I'm looking for for example:
installer/modules/common :
- ${DIALOG[*]} $*
(word splitting makes the two different)

I guess that's it for now.
So Far,
Karsten