sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc call for testing

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable-rc call for testing
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:22:37 -0700

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 01:05:31PM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
> <snip>
> >I think what I meant was to check in PREPARE and fail out at that stage
> >so that it doesn't accidentally create bug 8682 for old upgraders.
> >
> >Just a different way of fixing it I guess ... not sure if that's the
> >"only" way to fix it, but I think that's what we decided on one time in
> >IRC.
>
> I thought that was the fix already in place and to which I was referring
> to as the fix that is working.

I think you mean:

2004-07-06 Arwed v. Merkatz <...>
* DEPENDS: added dependency on gcc so they're built in correct order
on a system-update

That's the correct patch for people who upgrade the "correct and
supported" way, meaning sorcery queue cast --queue at the same time as
grimoire is updated so that you're always working with the spell set
that spell authors will expect.

My proposed change, however, I don't see applied to any grimoire, which
would make it safer for people who break the rule and update the
grimoire just to cast a spell (which is not uncommon) and who were going
from unsplit to split gcc-related spells.

By now everybody "should" be on the new split spells, so the fix is less
important, but I still think it's a good idea to have because it has
major repercussions (and let's say you are converting over from another
distro with a non-split gcc package the same problem might come up if we
get convert2smgl.sh in major production).

On the one hand, I'm able to add patches myself, but some people think
QA team shouldn't be fixing problems -- instead they should be reporting
problems. So on stuff that nobody's taking any effort to do like
ncurses, I do it myself; on stuff that people should be able to do who
are more familiar with the spell, I try to get them to do it.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3