sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] install_www_files change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] install_www_files change
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:59:46 -0700

Quoting "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>:
I've one comment unrelated to pages. Static passwords are not good, even
for localhost-only access. Here's an idea: why not include apg in the
basesystem and generate random passwords according to ISO standards, and
then save them under /root? I'd redo webmin according to this plan too.

webmin creates a random password, stores it in the config log so the
admin can get to it, and then informs the admin that they should change
it. Perhaps only have packages that generate passwords use apg? So for I
know of only webmin that does, but that mysql, postgresql, etc. should
also do it (they currently have blank passwords, IIRC). Shall we file
bugs for this?

-sandalle

eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61 | http://www.sourcemage.org/
http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @