sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Lead Questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Lead Questions
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 17:09:22 -0500

Karsten Behrmann wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:32:52 -0700
> Well, here's a few questions I would find interesting (as an ISO team
> member):
>
> 1. What will offset you as a lead from the rest of the developers in the
> team?
> (behavior, authority, decisions etc.)
Firstly, I'll be upfront that my bash skills aren't as good as some other
members
of the Source Mage team. But I do think that I'm pretty good at design. I can
come up with a logical way of doing things without having to know the exact
code
to implement it. And I can provide well defined requirements based off what
someone says that they want.

> 2. What are some of the first things you want to change?
The ISO Team needs better direction. The ISO Team needs well defined
requirements.
Even if those requirements are defined within the team, they need to exist.
The
ISO Team needs a list of what the requirements are for 1.0, then those
requirements
need to be prioritized and met. I intend to make this happen. I intend to
provide
this direction. I also intend to listen to/accept input from, the other
members.

> 3. What will be your action on the multiple-creation-scripts issue?
Now this is a touchy subject. I don't want to offfend anyone, and I don't want
to pit the scripts against each other. I believe that this falls back on
requirements
The ISO Team needs a well defined list of requirements for the ISO generation
procedure. Then we determine which set of scripts matches these requirements
best.
And then we use them. It's the same way when contracting out a program.

> 4. Where do you see your priorities as lead?
As Team Lead, my priorites will be determined by the whole of Source Mage. If
stability is desired (as it is now) then that becomes my priority. However,
I'll
not be swayed easily. If the community is frivolous with their desires, I
will choose
what I think is best for Source Mage, with input from other developers, of
course.
In generalization, my priority is to make the ISO the best out of any distro.
> Okay, I know politicians like to talk, especially about the future...
> So I suggest a limit of 5 lines, max. 80 chars each, for every answer ;-)

|<- 80 chars
For the most part it's 80 chars, I might've skimped a bit. And I went over a
bit too.
it should even out however :)

For ISO(Cauldron) Team Lead,

David Kowis