sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Udev new configuration stuff

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Udev new configuration stuff
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:23:52 +0200

Hi people,

Abouter and me have moved the old udev.rules file
in /etc/udev/rules.d/50-default.rules in devel. Don't be afraid, all
should be done *magically* in the spell and you should not have nothing
to do except to cast the spell.

But before putting this in test, I want to be sure that NO MORE spell
continue to write udev rules in /etc/udev/udev.rules. I just grep -R
udev.rules /var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/* and it seems that no spell uses
it except cdrtools and dvdrtools (I maintain them). So all should be ok.

The new configuration is really more convenient. All you have to do is
to write your rules in a file named for example 00-<spell>.rules and put
it in /etc/udev/rules.d/. The rules in this directory are parsed
lexicaly, so, that's why whe use numbers in the prefix file.
You can take a look at cdrtools spell in devel for an example of use and
[0] for how to write rules.

I recommend to install these files with the new great
install_config_file function. This way, users can so modify the rules if
he wants and then his custom rules file will not be erased by the
default one in the spell (it can be, but the users will be prompt for
that :-) )

A special care would also be welcome when putting this stuff in stable.
All spells who write udev rules should be updated in the same time. Far
from now I have :
udev
cdrtools
dvdrtools

So, please write quickly in this thread if you must change one of your
spell, before that I put the new udev spell in test. I think I will wait
only two days before doing this since, it seems that nobody except me
writes udev rules in spells, so don't lag behind... ;-)

Thanks a lot !

[0] http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
--
Flavien Bridault