sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] multilib would be needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Benoit PAPILLAULT <benoit.papillault AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] multilib would be needed
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 02:49:14 -0700

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:31:55AM +0200, Benoit PAPILLAULT wrote:
> Seth Alan Woolley a écrit :
> >Multilib support would be needed. Patches have been made and proposed
> >by benoit. Unless the sorcery team has some copious free time to test
> >them and the current team leaders feel that we have the resources to
> >support a multilib system (which they don't think), they won't be going
> >into main sorcery any time soon. There's a proj2 branch for sorcery for
> >benoit to work on it though since he pretty much won't listen to the
> >current team leaders' priorities to work on stabilizing pure
> >architectures first.
> >
> >There's already been stated opposition to multilib implementation as too
> >much of a burden for all the gurus to manage. If you feel differently,
> >this is the discussion list and anybody is free to express themselves. :)
> >
> >Personally, what I did to convert was to build/install to a chroot for
> >64-bit libraries. That seems to work well for me. If you have enough
> >space for 32-bit libraries and binaries, you have enough room for a
> >chroot with the same files on your system. Alternatively, following
> >Sergey's instructions and using the current test iso works, but you have
> >to follow Sergey's advice for it to work flawlessly. :)
> >
> >Seth
>
> Right. proj2 will be my own sorcery version with multilib support (and
> few other minor features). In order to have my work available to anyone
> who want to test it, I put the patches in bugzilla yesterday and will
> try to apply them on proj2 when i got some time.
>
> I'm not arguing that multilib should go into stable sorcery.
> I'm not arguing that multilib is of any high priority.
> I'm arguing that I want to make it available to anyone for testing.
>
> Benoit PAPILLAULT, ISO guru

Yes, we'll provide you the ability to do that, but you might get some
opposition if people expect gurus to fix problems as a result of using
your code (either in bugs in proj2 or spell bugs interacting with
proj2). You might want to put up a warning on your branch that warns
people on failure that it's an unsupported branch ... or you could
redirect them to #sourcemage-proj2 in the chat room and you can help
them out yourself :). If a lot of people are doing it and it looks to
be stable and good, we'll probably then integrate it.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org