sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.0 released
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:05:36 +0200

Hi everyone,

this is a warning to all users of the devel grimoire.
GCC 4.0.0 has been released and I'm working on updating it in devel.
There are again several breakages caused by the gcc update, so this
won't go to test too soon.
I'll create a gcc34 spell that installs to /opt/gcc34 similar to gcc2
and gcc33. Then I'll update the split gcc/g++/... spells to 4.0.0.
If you don't plan to help testing gcc 4 and are using the devel grimoire
you should put those split spells on hold.

Another thing I'll add is a grimoire function to switch to a different
gcc version for the current spell that does what USEGCC2 currently does,
but for _any_ version.

Attached is a script i've been using for some time to switch the gcc
version used in the current shell. I've been using it with my local
gcc40 spell to test some stuff with gcc 4.0 pre-releases, and it works
fine.
Basic usage is:
gcc-env $VERSION
cast <spell>

$VERSION has to be the compressed form of the version that is used as
postfix for the install location, i.e. 33 for gcc 3.3.x as the gcc33
spell installs to /opt/gcc33.

http://www.sourcemage.org
#!/bin/bash -i

if test -z "$1"; then
echo "Usage: gcc-env <version>"
echo " <version> - short form of the version, i.e. 34 for gcc 3.4.x"
exit
fi
VER=$1
if ! test -d /opt/gcc$VER; then
echo "You don't seem to have a /opt/gcc$VER installation, try 'cast
gcc$VER'"
exit
fi

PATH=/opt/gcc$VER/bin:$PATH