sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] multilib would be needed

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • Cc: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] multilib would be needed
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:12:35 -0700

Multilib support would be needed. Patches have been made and proposed
by benoit. Unless the sorcery team has some copious free time to test
them and the current team leaders feel that we have the resources to
support a multilib system (which they don't think), they won't be going
into main sorcery any time soon. There's a proj2 branch for sorcery for
benoit to work on it though since he pretty much won't listen to the
current team leaders' priorities to work on stabilizing pure
architectures first.

There's already been stated opposition to multilib implementation as too
much of a burden for all the gurus to manage. If you feel differently,
this is the discussion list and anybody is free to express themselves. :)

Personally, what I did to convert was to build/install to a chroot for
64-bit libraries. That seems to work well for me. If you have enough
space for 32-bit libraries and binaries, you have enough room for a
chroot with the same files on your system. Alternatively, following
Sergey's instructions and using the current test iso works, but you have
to follow Sergey's advice for it to work flawlessly. :)

Seth