sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sergey AT optimaltec.com
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:37:50 -0700

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 11:15:00AM -0500, sergey AT optimaltec.com wrote:
> OK, third time: I strongly object to having support for multilib systems in
> SMGL. We're burdened as it is with custom patches and fixes, this will be
> one
> more *major* kludge. If my capacity as a grimoire sections maintainer allows
> this, I'd like to call a vote to ban this approach in SMGL.

Sergey,

I'm proposing I apply the bugfixes that fix everything except the
dynamic loader path from /lib64 to /lib.

They are small fixes that don't do anything non-standard and make the
basesystem more FHS-compliant. Where there is possible difference
between the FHS and the AMD64ABI documents, notably on the dynamic
linker, I won't apply my patch directly. I will make it completely
optional and default to /lib64 which matches the ABI and is _closer_ to
the LSB (the LSB has its own proprietary linker name though, which we
won't support -- FHS is a lot more sane).

I'm still not going to work on multi-lib. This is just so I can have my
own /lib without a symlink and you don't have to worry about recompiling
anything since with the symlink the resultant behaviors are identical,
and without the symlink one can get further on a rebuild with benoit's
ISO.

Is this good with you Sergey? Sandalle's already declared multi-lib
"off-limits" for now, so your vote proposal is probably not needed
(although there is a draft policy proposal document being written up
where you may be able to propose to codify such things, but not yet).

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Security Team Member Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Pacific Green Party of Oregon