sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] amd64 /lib64 to /lib conversion fixes and adventures.
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 02:19:57 -0700

I've recently been working on getting the amd64 port to be all in /lib
without a /lib64 symlink (and /usr/lib{,64}). I've succeeded but will
have to make it easy for people to convert before I apply the various
patches I've written.

The /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 file seems hardcoded into the binaries
until they are all recompiled, and what I've done is kept that file in
/lib64 via a symlink after recompiling the affected packages, then
rebuilt the whole system. After that one can safely remove the
/lib64 and /usr/lib64 on the system at least for basesystem. Some
spells like xorg are still there. I haven't applied any patches myself
yet, but I have filed bugs:

http://bugs.sourcemage.org/buglist.cgi?bugidtype=include&bug_id=8614%2C8621%2C8622%2C8623%2C8624%2C8626&cmdtype=doit

I highly suggest copying over /lib64 stuff to /lib then ldconfig, then
removing /lib64 and symlink it to /lib if you are going to try the route
above. I did it without ever doing that, but readline and ncurses went
totally bonkers. Fortunately bash.static is available to be symlinked
from /bin/bash. If you plan on going down the sans-symlink route, you
must have a static bash to get at least readline and ncurses recompiled.
After that you must remove it because a static bash causes problems for
some other spells that depend on ldd'ing /bin/sh to see what libc
version they are on. Once you are out of the water with bash, the
patches in the bugs above seem to work well for me and I've rebuilt
everything into straight /lib and am now doing a test rebuild overnight
and hopefully in the morning I shall have all the binaries with their
seemingly hardcoded /lib64/ld* links moved to /lib/. Then I'll try
removing lib64 altogether and hope it all works out.

When I've proof tested it, I'll put up another tarball for people
interested in trying a pure 64-bit chroot that is running on a live
booting system without any trace of /lib64 paths.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Security Team Member Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Pacific Green Party of Oregon