sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Small Install of SMGL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Small Install of SMGL
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:06:46 -0700

Quoting Paul Beel <beelboing AT yahoo.com>:
> At work, I have been installing small Linux
> distributions on hardware like a mini-ITX with a 1GB
> Compact Flash card and also a bootable USB key.
> The USB key is Flash Linux based off of Gentoo. It has
> Gnome installed along with other software and it only
> takes up about 90MB on the key.
> With the 1GB CF Card, there would be more room
> obviously. I used Damn Small Linux for that. It isn't
> really made for that, but it works.
>
> If possible, I would really like to start using
> SourceMage for these kinds of projects.
>
> I am looking for any comments or suggestions for this
> from you guys to make this possible.
>
> Some of the possible goals for this would be:
>
> Bootable
> Certain packages already compiled, installed and
> working.
> Easy installation
> Hardware autodetection

We have some scripts for this in our cauldron repository, but they haven't
been
integrated into the ISO yet.

> Installed on Hard Drive, not just ran from CD like a
> Live-CD
>
> Possible software included:
> Desktop or Window Manager - possibly Gnome or Fluxbox
> Internet Browser - Firefox
> Document applications - Openoffice, smaller (Abiword
> and Gnumeric)
> The Gimp
> VIM
> ssh
> vnc
>
> I noticed there is a live-cd section on the SMGL web
> site. Has anyone tried this and tried to make it as
> small as possible?
> I am thinking the Live-CD approach would be a good
> place to start.

I don't think he ever made a LiveCD, but documented the process that he was
trying (he ran out of time, IIRC).

> What are your thoughts on this?

What you'll want to do is get in touch with our ISO Team (#cauldron and/or
#sourcemage-cauldron) and talk to them about helping out with our current
installer. Once our ISO making process is nice and easy you can customize it
build whatever kind of ISO you like with a few config changes. :)

-sandalle