sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Small Install of SMGL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Paul Beel <beelboing AT yahoo.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Small Install of SMGL
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:00:06 -0700 (PDT)

At work, I have been installing small Linux
distributions on hardware like a mini-ITX with a 1GB
Compact Flash card and also a bootable USB key.
The USB key is Flash Linux based off of Gentoo. It has
Gnome installed along with other software and it only
takes up about 90MB on the key.
With the 1GB CF Card, there would be more room
obviously. I used Damn Small Linux for that. It isn't
really made for that, but it works.

If possible, I would really like to start using
SourceMage for these kinds of projects.

I am looking for any comments or suggestions for this
from you guys to make this possible.

Some of the possible goals for this would be:

Bootable
Certain packages already compiled, installed and
working.
Easy installation
Hardware autodetection
Installed on Hard Drive, not just ran from CD like a
Live-CD

Possible software included:
Desktop or Window Manager - possibly Gnome or Fluxbox
Internet Browser - Firefox
Document applications - Openoffice, smaller (Abiword
and Gnumeric)
The Gimp
VIM
ssh
vnc

I noticed there is a live-cd section on the SMGL web
site. Has anyone tried this and tried to make it as
small as possible?
I am thinking the Live-CD approach would be a good
place to start.

What are your thoughts on this?

Paul Beel
General Grimoire Guru