sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:34:18 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:47:53PM -0800, Andrew wrote:

> > Also, if we do think this is a worthwhile endeavour and if the "final"
> > idea
> > above (e.g. what I was describing and Jeremy clarified) works for everyone
> > (further discussion is encouraged, of course ;)) then I'd like to know if
> > this
> > is something we'd want done before or after our 1.0. Yes, we try to keep
> > from
> > adding items to our pre-1.0 list, but we also want to have our 1.0 be as
> > flawless as possible and the proposed methods would certainly help to
> > ensure
> > that (as the ISOs use the stable grimoire).
> >

> I dont want to sound like Im oppsoed to getting 1.0 done but I think that
> it'd be good to put our "final" decision on this into place sooner rather
> than later for the following reasons:
> 1) the likely result is a more stable "stable" grimoire, which really
> need if we want new users to stick around
> 2) it'll be more difficult to change our process as time goes on,
> especially with (hopefully) an incoming crowd of users/developers, also,
> a bunch of us are motivated right now, we're probably not going to be
> as motivated in N months.
> 3) doing it now will allow us to fine-tune the process and allow us to
> make mistakes before they matter as much.
>
> I dont think that it will sufficiently delay 1.0 since sorcery 1.13 is
> probably going to be the long end of the pole and I think we can get
> the process started and running in fairly short order.

Sorry for the late answer but I had to sleep a bit :(
I totally agree here: if we're planning on doing that then we should do
it asap since the quality of the stable grimoire depends on it.

However as Jeremy pointed out, is the question of priority, because in
the end it always boils down to the same issue: we don't have enough devs
atm.
So, we need to figure out if it's really worth spreading ourselves in a
new "section" while sections like the iso team dramatically lack of ppl.

I, for one, think that a single grimoire section is less important than
the quality testing you're trying to get up and running, so if Jeremy
for example decidedto take charge of that "release section" to the
detriment of his mail section I'd be the first to applaude. It's
also exactly for the same reason I'm not offering to do it; maintaining
my section is not critical and I can be sloppy with it, while keeping
this release system floating is gonna require some constant care imo,
but it's worth it.

Mathieu.
--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.