sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:11:50 -0800

> Andrew, I like this reasoning, but am leary of making our "C" branch
> available
> to the general public (since its only purpose is for a team or program to
> test
> as a unit and verify to be brought into "D"), just like we have devel where
> it
> is (even after explaining to people why we won't make it generally
> available,
> we still get complaints, hence my initial concern regarding another
> "branch").
>
> So, if we can keep "A" and "C" safe from our users and only Officially
> produce
> "B" and "D" tarballs (tarballs/access for "A" and "C" can be made available
> for
> those needing/wanting it for helping to test) then I'm all for doing an
> intermediary branch "C" for the unit testing (I also like the idea of
> testing
> stable as an entire unit since I think most of our stable problems come from
> our current method of bringing in whatever seems stable at the time into the
> mix).

None of the branches I listed necessarily have to be formal "branches" in
the repository, they're just phases in the overall process. The repository
is merely a tool to assist in the /implementation/ of that process. I'll
try and differentiate the two by refering to them as the conceptual
"codebase" which may or may not exist as a physical repository "branch",
it could instead exist as just a tarball, or an unsubmitted sandbox.

Its our choice of course, whether its beneficial to use repository
branches or not. I argue that it is because it helps us solve the
problem of multiple people wanting to put fixes into the codebase,
and distributing the codebase to our developers. Also, its helpful to
remember that branches dont necessarily equate linearly to more work.
When used correctly they can assist the flow of work rather than hinder it.
There are of course reasons to not have a repository branch, i just want
us to seperate implementation and process.

I agree that at least for the time being we keep the C codebase private,
we can always make it public later, or to those who ask and/or volunteer
to test it. Just having a branch does not imply its released, the sorcery
project branches, for example, arent publicly advertised or released.
There has to be a limit in what we want to publicly support and thats
fine, Im sure other projects have lots of development branches they
dont release.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |