sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new glibc hits stable

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new glibc hits stable
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:05:14 -0800

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:24:06PM -0800, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:11:53PM -0800, Andrew wrote:
> > As a consequence though, to the end users (smgl for example), everyone who
> > builds stuff from source gets the shaft. You'd get the same problems if
> > you used a binary distro and then updated to 3.4 then started building
> > a few things here and there, they wouldnt work and all your binary
> > packages would either need to be updated (and their probably arent
> > updates), or you'd have to give up using gcc 3.4 until their were. Or
> > on other source distros youd have similar (if not the same) issues,
> > its not really a unique to smgl problem, and unfortunatly we cant just
> > make the incompatibility disappear without having to rebuild a bunch of
> > stuff that was broken by it.
>
> Keeping the old libstdc++ and possibly other libraries around, ldd'ing
> looking for dynamic links to it, collating by spell, and then recasting
> could be done in g++/FINAL instead of using a trigger. Prompt in
> configure with a default to no unless the new and old version have their
> minor version "cut -d. -f2" not identical, delete the old libstdc++ now,
> and call the problem fixed.

Didnt know it worked like that...although I thought if you have spell X
which calls libraries from spell Y, both C++, and Y was built with g++
3.3, X was built with 3.4, they wont be able to talk to one-another.
Having libstd++ around would ensure that Z (built with 3.3, but has no
c++ depends) would still work.

Again, Im just speculating here, maybe all the ABI calls are redirected
through the appropriate linker and it all works. Since we'll have a
gcc-3.3 spell that installs to /opt/gcc-3.3, people could just put
/opt/gcc-3.3/usr/lib at the end of their /etc/ld.so.conf.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |