sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] new glibc hits stable

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] new glibc hits stable
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:42:40 -0800

Quoting Flavien Bridault <f.bridault AT fra.net>:
> Well my box is still compiling... 12 hours now... All qt-related spells were
> broken for instance... I don't have the exact number but dozens of spells
> are
> broken (xorg for example...). But you're right, I could boot however... ;-)
>
> So it seems you don't want to warn the user and anyway this is not the way
> it
> should be done ihmo. WHY g++ didn't triggered a check_self() on all these
> spells ?? I know this is not done in all c++ spells and that it would be a
> hard work, but finally would'nt it be the real solution ? We do it for other
> spells why not here ? Or did I forgot something ??

Bugs should probably be filed for packages that need to check themselves when
gcc/g++ are updated, but then all packages should check themselves after any
of
their dynamically linked libraries are changed (and cast themselves on
statically linked).

How should this be handled, massive TRIGGERS for every library that a package
depends on, some Sorcery functionality that'll automatically recompile
dependees if their libraries change, or just tell users to use `cleanse
--fix`?

-sandalle