sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc - test grimoire

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc - test grimoire
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:19:35 -0800

> It might be worth a gcc3.3 spell like we had with USEGCC2 a while back.
> It might be smart to allow us to have many versions of gcc installed and
> instead of USEGCCn have a DETAILS:GCC=3.3 variable. I'm pretty sure gcc
> problems will happen again in the future during upgrades, so it just
> might be worth it.
>
> It might... might.. might. might mightmightightghthtt...

I think its worthwhile to avoid having such big lag-times on the
compiler. We still support USEGCC2, theres a handful of spells that need
it, and most of the code there can carry over to other gcc's.

So for gcc spells when they are migrated out of the gcc slot, we rename
them gcc-$VERSION, or maybe just the first two numbers in the version
(3.3, not 3.3.3), and make it install to some special location, eg
/opt/gcc-$VERSION/.

Then in spells that need to use that version of gcc they add a depends
gcc-$VERSION, and then in DETAILS specify the path to the gcc version,
which again would just be /opt/gcc-$VERSION. I think thats better than
trying to derive the path from a version.

In sorcery or in a grimoire library, add an invoke_gcc function similar
to invoke_gcc2 as in libgcc2, if its a grimoire library then spells
that need it can run it during PRE_BUILD. (It has to run before BUILD
in order to get the optimization flags right).

Finally the use_gcc2 function in libgcc2 could be morphed into use_gcc
and take a version parameter, then the archspecs which have differences
between compiler versions can adjust themselves just as they do with
use_gcc2 currently.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |