sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO Release Procedure
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:00:44 -0800

> > 2. Once a test ISO looks like it's getting ready for a final release, a
> > Team
> > Lead (ISO Team Lead or Project Lead) will use the scripts in
> > //sgl/cauldron/devel to generate an -rc release for further testing (the
> > first
> > -rc, -rc1, should be an exact copy of the last -test release) and
> > announce to
> > sm-discuss and sm-announce (as well as posting to the testing/ directory).
> Erm, there's a little problem there. As of yet, (AFAIK), the ISO does not
> solely depend on the scripts used in the creation of it, but some handcraft
> is needed to make and maintain the chroot from which is it made.
> This means that bugs like 7993 or 7279 keep getting on if one is not
> careful.
> So for the meantime, maybe those people who pushed out the test release
> should also release the rc.

The point of having rc releases (as I understand it) is so that the
official iso creater (team lead) has a few chances to get it right (due
to said handcraft needing to be done). Having the test creater equal the
rc/official creater defeats the purpose of having rc releases.

In an ideal world thered be no handcrafty work to do, and anyone can make
the same iso, and someday it should/could be like that, the team lead
could just roll an official iso without needing a couple of tries making
rc's. Hence why theres this plan, for now having a third party (team lead)
do the official creation generates a forcing function to get that work
automated, and someday obsolescing the need for (many) rc's.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | acedit at armory.com |
|Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |